The optical computer is a device that uses or infrared beam. Instead of an electric current for its digital computations as an optical computer. The need for optical computers emerged from the fact that conventional computers are limited by the time response. It also the building up to heat damages the electronic components. So here this article gives the advantages and disadvantages of optical computing to better understand this topic.
Pros or Advantages of optical computing:
- Optical computers are still in their early stages and cannot yet be compared to conventional computers. It is still safe to say that they have a higher processing speed.
- It is free from electrical short circuits.
- Optical com[uter has high density, small size, low junction heating, high speed.
- Dynamically scalable and reconfigurable into a smaller larger network.
- The speed of light in the photonic circuit will be close to the speed of light in a vacuum.
- It is capable of communicating several channels in parallel without interference.
- no power loss due to excess heating.
- The life of hardware of the optical computer is more.
- Possess superior storage density and accessibility.
- Have low transmission loss and large bandwidth.
- Optical materials have greater accessibility and storage density than magnetic materials of the device.
- Optical processing of data is inexpensive and it is also much easier than the processing done on electronic components.
Cons or Disadvantages of optical computing:
- Optical components and their production are expensive.
- Problems of exact manufacture.
- It compatibility.
- Due to interference caused by dust particles.
- Optical components are not miniaturized enough yet.
- Computing is complex as it involves the interaction of multiple signals.
- Bulky in size.
- Manufacturing photonic crystals are challenging.
Thank you for reading this article. If you have any queries regarding our article on the advantages and disadvantages of Optical Computing then do comment in the comment section below.
Explore more information:
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fog Computing
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Edge Computing
- Grid Computing advantages and Disadvantages of Grid Computing
- Advantages and disadvantages of microcomputer
- Advantages and disadvantages of mini computer
- Tablet PC advantages and Disadvantages of Tablet PC
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Supercomputer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Quantum Computer
- Flow chart advantages and Disadvantages of the Flow chart
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Algorithm
- Advantages and disadvantages of serverless computing