Serverless computing refers to a cloud-based model that enables the user to create and run applications or processes without direct contact with the underlying server. These cloud environments do have servers though the provider takes sole responsibility for the provision, scaling, and management. The serverless approach goes one step further than the platform as a service model, in which developers and customers have to communicate with the server via API and add or enable resources themselves.
Pros or Advantages of serverless computing:
- Developers are only charged for the server space they use, which reduces the cost.
- Code can run closer to the end-user, decreasing latency.
- Quick deployment and updates are possible.
- Users are only charged for the resource used.
- No server management is necessary.
- The provider scales and manages the required resource.
- Serverless architectures are inherently scalable.
- Rapid provision of resources in real-time, even for unforeseen peak loads and disproportionate growth.
- High error tolerance to flexible hardware infrastructure in the provider computer centers.
Cons or Disadvantages of serverless computing:
- Serverless computing introduces new security concerns.
- Testing and debugging become more challenging.
- Performance may be affected.
- Implementing a serverless structure is very labour-intensive.
- Serverless architecture is not built for a long-running process.
- No access to virtual machines, operating system, or runtime environment.
- In general, comparatively sophisticated testing and debugging methods are not feasible, such as in-depth performance and error analysis.
- Lock-in effect for example, when changing provider, you generally have to recode all events based functions.
Explore more information:
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fog Computing
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Edge Computing
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Grid Computing
- Advantages and disadvantages of optical computing
- Advantages and disadvantages of microcomputer
- Advantages and disadvantages of mini computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tablet PC
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Supercomputer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Quantum Computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of the Flow chart
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Algorithm