Grid computing has been around for over the last 12 years now. Its makes many advantages. Grid computing can be defined in many ways but for this discussion let’s simply call it a way to execute compute jobs. So here this article gives the advantages and disadvantages of grid computing to better understand this topic.
Pros or Advantages of Grid Computing:
- In a shorter amount of time, bigger, more complicated problems can be solved.
- Make better use of existing hardware.
- It is easier to collaborate with other organizations.
- This model scales very well. This modular environment really scales well.
- No need to buy a six-figure SMP server for applications which can be split up and farmed out to the smaller commodity-type server.
- Grid environments are much more modular and computing doesn’t have single points of failure.
- This computing, upgrading can be done on the fly without scheduling downtime.
- Policies can be managed by the grid software. The software is really the brains behind grid computing.
- Much more efficient use of idle resources. The job can be farmed out to idle servers or even idle desktop.
- A grid environment is extremely well suited to run jobs. It can be split into smaller chunks and run on several nodes simultaneously.
Cons or Disadvantages of Grid Computing:
- Grid computing technology the software and standards are still evolving process.
- The learning curve to get started.
- Non-interactive job submission.
- Will be forced to run a large SMP for memory-hungry applications that can’t take advantage of MPI.
- In this computing, the licensing across many servers may make it prohibitive for some apps.
- Applications would need tweaking to take full advantage of new models of computing.
- You may need to have an interconnection between compute resources.
- Political challenges associated with sharing resources. Many groups are reluctant with sharing resources even if benefits everyone involved.
Explore more information:
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fog Computing
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Edge Computing
- Grid Computing advantages and Disadvantages of Grid Computing
- Advantages and disadvantages of microcomputer
- Advantages and disadvantages of mini computer
- Tablet PC advantages and Disadvantages of Tablet PC
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Supercomputer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Quantum Computer
- Flow chart advantages and Disadvantages of the Flow chart
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Algorithm
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Serverless Computing
- Advantages and disadvantages of cognitive cloud computing