Utilitarianism is a doctrine that holds that actions are correct if they are beneficial to the majority of the population. Every decision’s morality or ethics is determined by the outcome rather than any other factor involved. So here this article gives the pros and cons of utilitarianism to better understand this topic.
Advantages or Pros of Utilitarianism:
- When we look at today’s societies. It is clear that people are not experiencing this emotion. When people have more financial resources, they tend to be happier.
- Utilitarianism teaches that our definition of morality and ethics should be based on a community rather than an individual perspective. There may be choices that make us happy as individuals, but if they do not benefit others, this theory states that they are incorrect.
- To make this theory work, we simply need to form a majority group and then work to determine the positive and negative consequences of each option.
- When looking at life from a societal perspective, one of the most significant challenges humanity faces is our perception of spirituality. There are approximately 4200 different religions practised in our world today, according to various estimates.
- Instead of focusing on everyone, utilitarianism focuses on the majority as a group for happiness. When we pursue the idea that brings the most joy into our lives, we reduce the possibility of harm occurring in our families, communities, and culture as a whole.
- In a typical democracy, legislation is passed or a representative is elected when a majority of 50% plus one vote is obtained. We use this structure because it is through to be the most equitable way to balance everyone’s varying goals for their lives.
- Because it incorporates universal ethics and an objective approach. Utilitarianism holds such promise as a societal approach. We can precisely calculate the positive and negative consequences of every action we take as a group.
Disadvantages or Cons of Utilitarianism:
- Utilitarianism only considers majority happiness when determining ethics and morality. When considering the overall experience of what it means to be human, we must keep in mind that there are other factors to consider.
- If there is one thing humans excel at, it is changing their minds, You cannot rely on anyone to advocate for the greater the majority decided to eliminate all other structures that promote social health and wellness.
- There are currently eight people who would benefit from your organs. When considering utilitarianism principles, the balance of happiness over harm supports the idea of putting you to death in order to improve the satisfaction of everyone else.
- Everyone has their own definition of what it means to be happy. Although we can find common ground on specific issues. It is nearly impossible to imagine two people today having cloned perspectives on the world. Humans are multifaceted beings.
- People in the US who self-identify as evangelicals oppose same-gender marriage at a rate of 67%. Although younger evangelicals support the idea in large numbers, the large populations of older adults distort the overall percentages.
Thank you for reading this article. If you have any queries regarding our article on the pros and cons of Utilitarianism then do comment in the comment section below.