The hardwood flooring is durable and long-lasting. Homes that are more than 100 years old can still look like the original flooring. You just need to take care of sweeping or vacuuming with the use of wood floor cleaner. Hardwood flooring works with all types of decorating, from traditional to modern design. Let us check out the pros and cons of hardwood flooring in this article to better understand hardwood flooring.
Pros of hardwood flooring:
- If you are maintained well, the hardwood flooring tends to last for more than a hundred years. Thus, it might seem like a long term investment, and it provides a good return on investment. One con of that is you won’t replace them every 10 or 20 years.
- When you decide to opt for wood flooring you have a wide variety of choices to select the flooring design. The different types of wood flooring are available which are the following: Tigerwood, Australian Cypress, Hickory, Oak available in Red and White, Santos Mahogany, Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Walnut, Teak, and Brazilian Chestnut.
- If you use carpet or vinyl flooring need to be replaced after a certain period of time whereas wood flooring just required to be re-sanded or refurbished. This helps to refresh flooring to its original state.
- Hardwood flooring is less prone to damage and it looks more graceful with the increase in age.
- The maintenance of wood flooring is easy because they are well resistant to liquid spills. If you clean the wood flooring by vacuuming, mopping and keep it dry it is good.
- The wood flooring does not nurture any type of parasites such as fleas, dust mites or spores. They are preventing from attracting any type of allergens, animal dander, moulds that causes allergies. Thus, it maintains healthy air quality at home.
- Wood flooring is harmless, and non-toxic which is best for babies who have just learn to crawl. There is a possibility of improvement of their motor skills when they are exposed to this flooring.
- Hardwood flooring has been popular nowadays because it is the healthiest option available with an organic origin. The biodegradable flowing is a great option and it provides wood.
- Wooden flooring helps to reduce the environmental impact. In addition, it also helps with building a sustainable home.
- The installation of hardwood is easy. It can enhance the quality of your home. You can hire a professional who is in this business is the best option, as any errors can ruin the entire look.
Cons of hardwood flooring:
- The cost of hardwood flooring is much higher than our regular carpets or tiles. Thus, it might not be an affordable option for all people. In addition, if you hire a professional the cost may vary.
- Choosing the right type of wood is important to avoid termites feed on wood. Most of the modern homes in the USA built by keeping such dangers in mind. If you tapping the floor with a screwdriver and hear some hollow sound, then they are caused by cavities that have made by the termites.
- You can avoid water contact while cleaning the wood flooring. You can clean with a mop, but not be dripping with the water. The flooring will be destroyed in the occurrence of a seepage. The harsh detergents should be avoided while cleaning the flooring.
- Wood flooring is prone to having dents and scratches sometimes, therefore you need to take care while cleaning. There are chances of getting stains on the floor if the floor is spillage.
- The hardwood flooring is not a very suitable option for all the rooms in your home. We don’t advise to installed on your bathroom and kitchen floor. As these areas are high exposure to moisture and spills.
- Cupping occurs when the edges of the wood are higher than the centre because the moisture content that is gradually caused the wood to expand. The expansion of this results in damage to the edges of the flooring.
- Crowning is the exact opposite of cupping, the centre part of the wood board becomes higher than the edges. This happens in a humid atmosphere when moisture is high. After sanding the edge, the centre of the wood board will start to crowning if you don’t let the wood dry up first.
- You should look out for water seepage if there is any indication of fungus. You might discover it as they spread and start destroying the top layer of the hardwood floor.
- When the flooring is completed, at first, it will provide no noise and provide solid ground. But after a days pass excessive movement can alter certain sections of the wood flooring. It causes a nuisance if you are living in an apartment.
- You will be required to polish flooring frequently for every 5 to 6 years, especially in that areas are frequently in use.
If you choose hardwood flooring they show the blemishes prominently, as compared with the softwood flooring.
Selecting the right kind of flooring can get difficult but by analyzed the pros and cons of hardwood flooring above, you will definitely make a wise decision.
YOUR HOME IS YOUR HUMBLE ABOARD, THUS, CHOOSE THE BEST FOR IT!
Thank you for reading this article. If you have any queries regarding our article on the pros and cons of Hardwood Flooring then do comment in the comment section below.
Explore more information: