Direct manipulation is computer science is a style of human-computer interaction that includes continuous representation of the object of interest and fast, reversible, and incremental actions and feedback. So here this article gives the advantages and disadvantages of Direct manipulation to better understand this topic.
Pros or Advantages of Direct manipulation
- It is easy to learn and remember.
- It is easy to retain.
- Present task concept visually.
- Permits error avoidance.
- It is a flexible and reversible action.
- Low typing requirement.
- Encourages exploration.
- High subjective satisfaction.
- Predictable and controllable.
- Permits high subjective satisfaction.
- Instant visual feedback.
- User learning time is relatively small.
- User feel in control of the computer and less likely to be intimidated by it
Cons or Disadvantages of Direct manipulation
- May be hard to code.
- High resource usage.
- The requirement for a lot of screen space may be cumbersome.
- Poing may be slower than typing.
- May increase difficulty for the visually impaired.
- May require graphics display and pointing devices.
Thank you for reading this article. If you have any queries regarding our article on the advantages and disadvantages of Direct Manipulation then do comment in the comment section below.