The flow chart is a pictorial representation of an algorithm using some standard symbols. It is a simple graphical representation of steps. It shows the sequence of ordered and widely used in presenting the flow of algorithms & solve a difficult problems. Here this article gives the advantages and disadvantages of the flowchart to better understand this topic.
Pros or Advantages of flowchart:
- It is a convenient method of communication.
- Flowcharts are a better way of communicating the logic of the system to all concerned or involved.
- A key to correct programming.
- Where a program has logical complexities flowchart can indicate very clearly just what is being done.
- Promotes logical accuracy.
- The flowchart can ascertain that no logical path is left incomplete without any action being taken.
- Facilities troubleshooting.
- It clearly indicates that the role played at each level.
- The purpose of the flowchart is to make complex programs to make easy and readable. Making things more efficient.
- Provides an overview of the various system.
- The flowchart will provide to demonstrates the relationship between various steps.
- It saves inconveniences in the future and serves the purpose of documentation for the systems.
- System analysis process & design are the main focus for flowchart so they act as guides or blueprints.
- Very easy to draw a flowchart in any word processing program like MS Word.
- A flowchart is an important tool for planning and designing new systems.
- It helps us to understand the logic of given problems.
- The flowchart helps in the debugging process.
- Compared to algorithms and the Pseudo-code method, Flowcharts are very easy to facile to understand.
- The maintenance of an operating program becomes very easy. It helps the programmer to put efforts more efficiently into that part.
- Using only use very few symbols, complex problems can be represented very easily in a flowchart.
- Raptor is a flowchart-based programming environment. This design specifically to help the student to visualize their programs.
- With the help of the flowchart, problems can be analyzed in a more effective way therefore cost & wastage of time.
Cons or Disadvantages of Flowchart:
- The flowchart is sometimes a waste of time and slows down the process of software development.
- A flowchart is not meant for man to computer communication.
- A flowchart is a type of diagram that represents a workflow or process. But it doesn’t mean for a man to computer communications.
- If you need to modify or some change, & alternate the process then it will be very hard to do in the flowchart.
- Manual tracing is needed to check the correctness of the flowchart which is drawn on paper.
- Showing many branches and looping flowchart is difficult.
- The flowchart is quite costly and difficult to use and manage.
- The flowchart symbols cannot type, reproduction of the flowchart become a problem.
- Sometimes the complex logic problem of the program logic is quite complicated to draw out using different shapes.
- Modification of the flowchart is sometimes time-consuming.
Explore more information: