The free rein style is also called laissez-faire leadership style. It is used by a manager when the staff is perfectly capable of accomplishing the task at hand on their own. The employees make decisions and set up policies without the manager’s input. Free rein leadership is best when employees are knowledgeable about the task and motivated to complete it. You should also check out the advantages and disadvantages of a free rein leadership style to know more about it.
When should we use free rein leadership?
- The goal of an institution has been communicated well and is acceptable to the subordinates.
- Subordinates are highly knowledgeable, motivated, well trained, and psychosocially mature. In addition, they are ready to assume responsibility. This style could lead to self-interest among subordinates, chaos, and breakdown of the system.
- This style is most suitable in situations, where the group member is more knowledgeable than the leader and possesses expertise in a particular field that can be found that can be used to find a solution to the complex problem. As a result, extremely motivated team members favor this form of leadership.
- Thus style can be used in situations where their follower a high level of passion and intrinsic motivation for their work.
Explore more information:
- Advantages and disadvantages of autocratic leadership
- What are the characteristics of autocratic leadership?
- When should you choose autocratic leadership?
- How does autocratic leadership affect performance?
- Why is the autocratic leadership style most effective?
- What are the benefits of autocratic leadership?
- Advantages and disadvantages of democratic leadership
- What are the benefits of democratic leadership?
- What are the characteristics of democratic leadership?
- When should you choose democratic leadership?
- Why is the democratic leadership style most effective?
- Advantages and disadvantages of free rein leadership
- What are the characteristics of free rein leadership?
- Why is the free rein leadership style most effective?
- What are the benefits of free rein style leadership?
- Qualities of a good leader
- Function of leadership
- What are the characteristics of leadership?
- Importance of leadership
- Advantages and disadvantages of transformational leadership
- Difference between manager and leader
- What are the attributes of a managerial leader?