Iris recognition use cases range from national citizen ID programs to physical access control for the organization. It is to border management and defense. On devices with special IR-enabled cameras, it can also be used as a form of mobile authentication. So here this article gives the advantages and disadvantages of iris recognition to better understand this topic.
Pros or Advantages of Iris recognition:
- It is a highly protected, internal organ of the eye.
- Externally visible patterns imaged from a distance.
- Patterns apparently stable throughout life.
- The appearance of Iris is even more predictable than the shape of the face.
- There is no need for a person to touch any equipment.
- It has a high accuracy rate.
- Imitation is not possible and patterns cannot be changed without risking the eye.
- Election malpractices can be stopped.
- The template size is small.
- It is fast processing.
- When scanning, there is no physical touch.
- Believed to be stable over a person’s lifetime.
- Image encoding and matching processes are high.
- Difficult to spoof.
- Iris pattern posses a high degree of randomness.
- The pattern is epigenetic.
- Since the cornea protects the iris, it does not alter much when people age.
Cons or Disadvantages of Iris recognition:
- Optical readers are very difficult to operate requiring advanced training for employees.
- Not extremely easy to use.
- At a distance of more than a few meters, iris detection is extremely difficult.
- Less value for criminal investigation.
- Irises are not typically deposited by people at crime scenes. As a result, they aren’t as effective for forensic detection as fingerprints and DNA.
- High false, not match rate.
- It has a high cost.
- Near proximity to the camera is usually needed, which may be uncomfortable for some.
- Can’t use a regular camera, it requires IR light source sensor. Visible light must be minimized for the highest accuracy required for search.
Thank you for reading this article. If you have any queries regarding our article on the advantages and disadvantages of Iris Recognition then do comment in the comment section below.
Explore more information: