Fog extends the cloud close to the device which produces or generates the data. This system is called the fog nodes. The device with network connection, storage, and computing features is knowns as a fog node. Examples include switches, controllers, servers, routers, cameras, and so on. Fog computing is called edge computing. So here this article gives the advantages and disadvantages of fog computing to better understand this topic.
Pros or Advantages of fog computing:
- It offers better security.
- Fog nodes are mobile in nature. Hence they can join and left the network at any time.
- It is easy to develop fog applications using the right tool that can drive machines as power customers needs.
- Fog nodes, such as tracks, cars, factory floors can survive harsh environmental conditions.
- Fog computing offers a reduction in latency as data are analyzed locally. This is due to less round trip time and is also a fewer amount of data bandwidth.
- It reduces the latency requirement and hence quick decisions can be made. This helps in avoiding accidents.
- It process selected data locally instead of sending them to the cloud for processing.
- This computing offers better privacy to the user’s data as they are analyzed locally instead of sending them to the cloud. The IT team can manage everything and control the devices.
Cons or Disadvantages of fog computing:
- Fog computing will realize the global storage concept with infinite size and speed of local storage but data management is a challenge.
- Power consumption is too high in fog nodes compare to centralized cloud architecture.
- Trust and authentication are major concerns.
- Scheduling is too much complex as tasks can be moved between client devices, fog nodes, and back end cloud servers.
- Achieve data consistency in computing is challenging and requires more effort.
- Encryption algorithms process and security policies make it more difficult for arbitrary devices to exchange data.
Thank you for reading this article. If you have any queries regarding our article on the advantages and disadvantages of fog computing then do comment in the comment section below.