Edge computing enables data to be analyzed, processed and transferred at the edge of the network. In addition, the data is analyzed locally, closer to where it is stored, in real-time without considering latency. Edge computing allows data from the Internet of Things device to be analyzed edge of the network. However, this data send before being sent to a data centre or cloud. Let us check out the advantages and disadvantages of edge computing to know more about it.
Pros or Advantages of edge computing:
- Edge computing offers high speed, reduces latency better reliability which allows for quicker data processing and content delivery.
- It offers a far less expensive route to scalability and also from versatility. In addition, it allows enterprises, through a mix of IoT devices and edge data centres, to extend their processing power.
- Increased knowledge generation at the data source.
- This system offers better security by distributing processing, storage, as well as applications across a wide range of devices. In addition, data centres, which makes it impossible to shut down the network with any particular interruption.
- Increased security via local encryption.
- Increased battery life.
- Edge computing increased endpoint or device autonomy.
- It increased the quality of services.
- These systems increase the capacity of the device.
- Innovation through software updates.
- Increased agility in compute.
- It reduced the risk of potential failure via centralized.
- Reduction of data waste. In addition, reduction of connectivity constraints in a difficult environment.
- Reduced energy consumption.
- Edge computing can work cloud or fog. In addition, it is used in determining whether to send data cloud or stored locally for further analysis.
- This system can be used in systems requiring minimal to no human interaction such as driverless cars etc.
- It offers very low latency and can be employed in time-critical applications such as finance operations and hospitals.
- This device reduces data volume to the cloud.
- Reduction in the distance for data to travel and associated transmission costs.
- It pushes intelligence, processing power, and communication of the edge gateway.
Cons or Disadvantages of edge computing:
- It requires more storage capacity.
- The cost of edge computing is very high.
- It requires advanced infrastructure.
- There is limited to a smaller number of peripheral layers.
- This computing can not perform resource pooling.
- It only analyses the data.
- No cloud-aware.
- Cloud is more scalable than fog computing.
- Security challenges and challenges that are present in edge computing.
- Their operation can not be extended to the IT/OT team.
- Edge computing is linked via a private network with customised security and limited interoperability.
Thank you for reading this article. If you have any queries regarding our article on the advantages and disadvantages of Edge Computing then do comment in the comment section below.
Explore more information:
- Advantages and disadvantages of fog computing
- Grid Computing advantages and Disadvantages of Grid Computing
- Advantages and disadvantages of microcomputer
- Advantages and disadvantages of mini computer
- Tablet PC advantages and Disadvantages of Tablet PC
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Supercomputer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Quantum Computer
- Flow chart advantages and Disadvantages of the Flow chart
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Algorithm
- Advantages and disadvantages of serverless computing