A dot-matrix printer device based on impact printing. It is a print head that moves back and forth and prints by impact or by striking an ink-soaked cloth ribbon against the surface of the paper. The dot matrix printers are more common in particular environments that need cost-effectiveness compared to inkjet printers or laser printers. So here this article gives the advantages and disadvantages of dot matrix printer to better understand this topic.
Pros or Advantages of dot matrix printer:
- It can used to print multi-part forms or carbon copies.
- Low printing cost per page.
- It is reliable and durable.
- The Dot-matrix printer is small in size.
- This printer was ideal for rare use.
- These printers can print both text and graphics.
- This form of printer uses paper constantly as opposed to other printers that require a regular paper shift.
- It can be used on continuous form paper and also useful for data logging.
- This printer is easily available in the market.
- They can make carbon copies of the printout, unlike nonimpact printers.
- The maintenance cost is low as compared to other types of printers.
- They tolerate dirty and hot conditions as are found in the industrial environment.
- The printout fades steadily, rather than abruptly coming to a stop. You, therefore, get plenty of time to change the Ribbon before a crisis.
Cons or Disadvantages of dot matrix printers:
- It is noisy.
- It is a limited printed quality. Quality is not so good.
- Low printing speed.
- Limited colour printing.
- The output is not high resolution.
- The pins get bent easily destroying the print head.
- The density of barcodes is low and may fail to match the standards of users.
- A single sheet of paper must be wrapped and arranged by a hand that is time-consuming and hectic. This also leaves it vulnerable to jamming, too. While paper jamming can happen with any printer, it’s not an easy job to fix it.
- They cannot be used continuously for more than 1 hour.
- It requires more servicing.
- Very low-resolution graphics with very limited color performance.
Explore more information: