3D printing like its suggests it is a printer can build a 3-dimensional object. It is extremely becoming popular, however, just like any other technology. So, let us check out some important points on the advantages and disadvantages of the 3D printer to know more about it.
Pros or Advantages of 3D printer:
- 3D printer, one can print any design no matter how complex is it might to be.
- 3D printing, products can be printed as needed, thereby removing unnecessary products and no storage cost is required.
- It is constant prototyping and increased productivity.
- The 3D printer provides infinite geometry and shape.
- 3D printing technology is environmentally friendly.
- The initial cost for setting up 3D printing technology will definitely high. However, it is much cheaper compared to labour costs and manufacturing costs while using the conventional way.
- The widespread use of printing technology will definitely increase the demand for engineers who are needed to design.
- 3D printers are becoming more accessible with more local service providers offering outsourcing services for manufacturing work.
- Technicians who are skilled at troubleshooting and maintenance and designers to design blueprints for products. It provides more jobs that will be created.
- The production of parts only requires the materials needed for the part itself. With little or no wastage as compared to an alternative method that is cut from large chunks of non-recyclable materials.
- The main material used as a plastic, although some metals can also be used for 3D printing. Plastic offers advantages as they are lighter than their metal equivalents. This is important in industries such as automotive and aerospace where light-weighting is an issue and can deliver greater fuel efficiency.
- 3D printing can print objects or items much quicker than the moulded or machined components within hours.
- It is not only the manufacture of the part that can offer time-saving through 3D printing. But, it also the design process can very quick STL or CAD files ready to be printed.
- 3D printing is being used in the medical sector to help save lives by printing organs bodies such as livers, kidneys, and hearts.
Cons or Disadvantages of 3D printers:
- The decrease in manufacturing jobs will greatly affect the economy of countries that rely on a large number of low skills jobs.
- With a 3D printer, plastic knives, guns, and any other hazardous object can be created. It makes it easier for terrorists and criminals to bring a weapon without being detected.
- Inaccuracy in design.
- 3D printing machines are expensive.
- Some production is a dangerous item.
- The size of objects created with 3D printers is currently limited. In the near future, large items such as architectural structures can be created using 3D printing.
- Presently 3D printers can work up to approximately 100 different raw materials. It creating products that use more raw materials is still under development.
- The biggest disadvantage of 3D printing is counterfeiting. The tracing of the source of the counterfeited items will nearly impossible. Many copyright holders will have a hard time protecting their rights and also their businesses producing unique products will suffer.